Letting go

Sadly, I am not referring to the profound “letting go” of moving on with your life or saying goodbye to the past. Well, I’m kinda talking about saying goodbye to the past.

But mostly I am talking about presents.

Hubbie and I have completed about 96% of the Christmas shopping. But, while doing wrapping and scribbling names on the wrapping (I find cards a bit of a waste) I was thinking about presents of the past. (Cute little play on words hey – presents of the past…)

Anyway.

I also thought about teasing my friend about the fact that the last gift I gave her is still in its packaging. I told her she won’t be getting anything for Christmas unless she at least takes it out, preferably plug it in. The thing is, I feel a little guilty about that joke. You see, Hubbie gave me a gift last Christmas that I haven’t used. I have held it in my hands, opened and closed it, was very excited, decided to give some thought to the perfect use, and then mostly forgot about it.

I guess the conclusion I have reached is that when we give gifts we (I) must remember that we (I) have passed on the ownership and therefore have no say. Let go. All you (I) are entitled to is a thank you. No more.

Whether they use it or not, whether they re-gift it and pass it on to the next poor soul, whether they sell it to pay for petrol. It’s theirs now, and if you (I) want to keep strings attached, rather don’t give it at all.

Needless to say, my friend is getting a Christmas present (she would have all along) and my gift from hubbie will be used, as soon as I remember where I “safely” put it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A first try

An ode to my hubbie

And then there were none