Being nice: the September resolution

Nice!*
I would like to think that I am a nice person.

Yes, there are times that I am not moon beams and cheese curls, but in general I think I am nice. It seems however that being called nice has almost turned into an insult of late. In movies, the “nice” guy seldom gets the girl. “That’s nice” often is used as a sarcastic remark. “It’s nice” almost borders on meaning mediocre in day to day conversation.

The truth – being nice is something great, something to aspire to.

When did the world become all about standing ovations and gold medals? Why do we often feel there are no points for second best? And why do we believe that being nice is second rate? (I have a theory on why I sometimes fall into this trap, but I would like you to figure this out for yourself.)

So let’s go back to basics, the dictionary. Here follows a few definitions of the word “nice:”

  • pleasant or pleasing or agreeable in nature or appearance
  • decent: socially or conventionally correct; refined or virtuous
  • done with delicacy and skill
  • courteous: exhibiting courtesy and politeness

I don’t know about you, but things like virtuous, skill and courtesy sounds all good to me.

That’s why I was so pleasantly surprised when I was recently referred to as “the nicest person I’ve never met.”

This from a blog on Wordsmyth, written for Women’s Day, and I can happily say it made my day (Women’s or otherwise). And now, almost 2 months later, it reminds me that “being nice” is a great thing to achieve. The complete entry is as follows:

Suki Lock is the nicest person I’ve never met. I love her blog because she is so committed to getting the most out of life. She’s always positive; she’s always striving to do better and she’s always, always kind. I love her approach to 2010. Over the past eight months, she has set and shared goals aimed at beautifying and improving her life. I always look forward to hearing about her progress and to find out what she’ll get up to next. Her blog reminds me to take in the journey, and for that I’m very grateful. (See original blog post.)

It’s also a little scary to continuously live up to these words, and that’s why it’s my September resolution.

I want to be nice. Always.


*Pic also picked coz @k_r_isis likes it :)

Comments

  1. See?! See?! You're doing it again. You make me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well K.R.Isis, I am nice after all...

    :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A first try

An ode to my hubbie

And then there were none