The dark side

I think I might be a little naive.

Of course I am aware that in many aspects of life I am blissfully ignorant, which is why I may never be "successful". To quote Mark Twain: "To succeed in life, you need two things: ignorance and confidence." I know I do not always have the confidence required, and by knowing I lack ignorance. I just can't win.

But back to the point.

I think I might be a little naive. You see, I know about the violence and crime in South Africa, but have been able to focus on the beauty and potential. I know that not everyone is good, but I also know that not everyone is bad, and I tend to give people the benefit of the doubt.

But while planting some flowers this afternoon, I had one of our neighbours stop by for a chat. Most of the chat was about burglaries, car theft, abductions and rape, the first two recently happening in our street. My street. My beautiful South African street.

Shattered.

I know of the dark side. I just wish it didn't know of my South Africa. I wish it wasn't anywhere on this earth. But alas, maybe I am not naive enough.

Comments

  1. * le sigh * yes, if only all that bad crap wasn't in SA...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A first try

An ode to my hubbie

Ramsay’s kitchen nightmares?