The Sighs of Monsters (a music post)


I have been having a rather quiet existence lately.

Not in the “I am able to keep my mouth shut” sense (like that will ever happen), but rather in the, “our iTunes home share has been acting up and I’m too lazy to go fetch and insert the CD into computer” kinda way.

So my work days have been quiet.

On occasion Ted Talks and YouTube can tie me over, but some projects require concentration that gets in the way of paying attention to TedX.  So, quiet it has been.

Until yesterday. Yesterday I was reminded that you can listen to music on Sound Cloud. So no prizes for guessing that that is where I have been getting my musical fixes from for the past 2 days.

Specifically “The Sighs of Monsters,” an art rock band from London. Full disclosure – I do own a CD of theirs and is related (by marriage) to 2 of the members, which is mostly why I selected them to listen to.

Their music is a mix of styles – caring more about what the song needs than being placed in a (musical) box. Interestingly enough I enjoy most of their music. Like with any band there are tracks that I don’t care for that much, and others that I really love… “Do not Oscillate” really resonate… (see what I did there?) and “Ecstasy”, which I believe is their newest song, makes me feel happy.

However, I have developed a kinda love-hate relationship with “Jack” the track.

On the one hand I love the musical styling. On the other hand I find the lyrics silly.
Although I think the lyrics are really cute and even relatable, and the music disjointed.
Then there is the drum beat craziness and seemingly random shouting (and a lot of coughing), but then I really like the guitar licks… Love-hate.

I’m kind of reminded of a song from “Sweeny Todd” and “Bohemian Rhapsody” – but then I am not at all.

Sooooooooooooo…

I’ll go with the comment on the track by Debs McCoy – that it is “weirdly wonderful.” But I’ll add: can someone please return the jack?

If nothing else, have a listen to “Ecstasy” – or for a more rounded experience, check out the album “Ground.”



Happy listening.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A first try

And then there were none

An ode to my hubbie