Living with less


Sometimes it seems like the universe is trying to tell you something.

Often, we are too "busy" with our own "stuff" to pay proper notice. Other times, we notice, but since the message doesn't fit with what we believe we want, we actively ignore it. 

On occasion we are ready to listen, and I think that might be be the case for me this time. 


You are most likely aware of the saying: less is more. Simple words, often applied to the design world I live in. 

I hear and use this phrase relating to my job quite frequently, but now I think I am ready to persue it as a way of life. 

The idea has been presented to me in multiple forms in the past few months. 

A close friend packing up her life to move to a new country. 

A client sharing the concept of perma-culture with me. 

A weekend stargazing trip with great conversation and skies that left me in awe. 

Even the awareness of the value of every drop of water forced on us by the drought in the Western Cape. 


So what do I think "less is more" means for me in my life?

In a nutshell (that's my 9 year olds favourite expression at the mo'): it is to focus less on "stuff" and more on experience. 

I had this conversation with my hubbie the other day. It went something like this...

Me: I want us live with less. 
He: ???
Me: You know, like not be driven by thinking life will be better if we have a bigger house or fancier car, but rather focus on how we spend our time and what we do to have a happier life. 
He: But we have never seen cars or houses as a measurement of success or happiness. 
Me: I know, but I'm formally stating it now. 

So like my hubbie, you may also be wondering, "does she have any form of point"?

And I do, kinda. 

Let's use a practical example from my life. 


Our house is cluttered. There are a lot of things lying around we do not use or need.  Some of it used to be useful and we have outgrown its use (like baby things). Some of it ended up in our house when my mom moved to a smaller place. Some of it I'm not sure where it came from. 

The problem is, I can't seem to let go. None of these things are of huge financial value, but none of it is throw away level either. I have no issue with giving away bags of too small clothes, but these things I have this "feeling" I have to do something with or get something for. Like I have to sell it on Gumtree. Except that I don't want to deal with selling things on Gumtree... 

So there it sits. A room that should be used for gathering around the table and sharing a meal (experience) has been invaded by things that could be something (stuff). 

And this is were I want to start. Coz these "things" that probably is few hundred, maybe a couple of thousand rands in potential, is every day robbing me of experience. 

But this is not the only living with less I see in my future. Less stress, less unrealistic expectations, less should haves...

Less of the things that stands in the way of a happy life. 

I guess this Life Quest of mine is alive and kicking. 


Until next time. 

xxxSuki


Photos from www.pexels.com






Popular posts from this blog

A first try

An ode to my hubbie

Ramsay’s kitchen nightmares?