Burger debate - McDonalds vs Burger King

So I found myself smack bang in the middle of a shopping centre around lunch time. Being a life quest blog, I should probably have tried to find a salad (healthy stuff ya know), but looking around my eye fell on Burger King. And then McDonalds. 

I've only ordered food from Burger King once before. I think it was a week or two after they pitched their tent in Cape Town, and I braved the ridiculous queue, because my friend with me promised me BK food is sooo much better than McDonalds.

I had my doubts.

You see, I eat McDs, and she usually avoids it. So I didn't think she is the best judge. But, the only way I could know for sure was to try it. And, the idea of onion rings did help. I love me some onion rings.

So we queued. And I got my food. And, I was not surprised. In my opinion it tasted the same as McDonalds. "Will you eat BK again?" I asked my friend. "Yes, I would," she responded. "But it tastes the same as McDs," I said. "Now it doesn't!" she growled. 

Didn't seem worth pushing the matter, but an idea formed. One day I would try both. Together.

At the time I thought it would be a few weeks later, but months passed, and I never bothered. Eventually I forgot of my plan. Then, today, looking around the food court, I remembered.



Since I'm not a BK regular, I choose what seemed kinda standard: a Big King Burger for R23.90. On the other side of the passage I asked for a Big Mac Burger, for R27. I'm not sure if these are the best burgers to compare, but they seemed pretty similar to me. BK had less lettuce, but had some added onion. McDs didn't have the onion, but had more lettuce and an additional piece of bread. Both had two "patties", some saucy bit, cheese and a piece of gherkin. My extra R3 at McDs did buy a box instead of a paper wrap. 

But, what did it taste like? Which one is better? 

And there's the rub. They are still - in my opinion - the same. After a few bites, unable to have a proper verdict, I closed my eyes and tried again. A few more bites later I couldn't even remember which was which. 

Maybe my taste buds just are not sensitive enough to taste the subtle differences, but considering both McDs and BK have loyal fans, unlikely to cross over, I would have liked some greater distinction. But after my little experiment, I am firmly on the fence. 

Maybe I'll try again in a year.





Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A first try

An ode to my hubbie

Ramsay’s kitchen nightmares?